Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Daniel Barenboim and I...

... were both at the Bridgewater Hall tonight :-)

I was there for a choir committee meeting. When I arrived I was surprised to find my way to the Artists' Entrance blocked not by the usual Hallé truck but by three HUGE orchestra-type trucks. I figured there must be some huge rock band playing - I couldn't think who else would need that much equipment - but when I went to sign in, I found that the sheet next to the committee one was for the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, and DB's name was at the top! I was quite excited by this, particularly as I'd totally forgotten they were playing here this week. During the early part of the committee meeting (which Jamie only attended part of, as he had a much-sought-after ticket for the concert) we could hear CSO players warming up. Gave the place a real buzz!

2 other vaguely-choir-related things. Firstly, I'm currently reading Michael Kennedy's "Portrait of Elgar" and was amused by this quote, in which Elgar explains why he disliked meeting choirs when rehearsing a new work: "I can face any orchestra under the sun, the players always enjoy new effects, but a chorus looks so disgusted if they haven't a shouting four-pt yell from beginning to end". (That is SO not true of us!)

Secondly, those choir members who took part in the Henry V tour of a year or two back will be amused to note that Prince Charles plans to open his wedding with music from this: "Touch Her Soft Lips And Part" :p

No comments: