Tuesday, November 07, 2006

"Gentlemen, you were rampant!"

This was Jamie telling the men what he thought of their Schoenberg gig. (Here's the Times review and the MEN review - sounds as if they were pretty good, although the MEN, typically, doesn't actually mention them!)

While I'm (almost) on the subject, there's a new Guardian review of our CD (which doesn't really say anything about our bit other than to mention that it is unexpected), and of course last night our Ravel gig (the one with the grunting where we didn't stand up... that sounds quite wrong if you don't know what I'm talking about!) was on Radio 3. I couldn't hear any grunts - see if you can, it's on Listen Again for the next week.

Not much else to say. I'm having one of those weeks, although I think today is the worst day (at least I hope so!) I was up at 4 a.m. today in order to try to do the work I should have done last night but was too tired. (Even so, I didn't finish before I had to leave for work at 7.) Then I had a meeting after school (the second of three this week). I got home, sat down for an hour then had to go out again for a singing lesson. And on getting home after that, I sat down for half an hour before I had to go out to a quiz (I'm in a league, and it started up again tonight). And during the course of the quiz, Man Utd lost (I blame myself). Got home at 10.30 p.m. Still have work to do but am too tired to concentrate - so why am I blogging? Because (a) I felt guilty for not doing so since last week, and (b) I'm waiting for one of my cats to come in :-)

I was almost as tired as this last week - I wasn't going to go to choir, I decided I couldn't make it to Thursday if I didn't go to bed REALLY early on Wednesday. But then I remembered I had to go, because the previous week Alison had volunteered to take home 3 boxes of carol books and only realised days later that she couldn't go the week after. So I'd agreed to take them back. And of course by the time I got there, I'd got my second wind so I thought I may as well stay!

We did a fair bit of Messiah - mainly the middle section (resulting in me having He Trusted In God on the brain for the rest of the week), although I think we had another bash at the runs in For Unto Us, because on page 61 I have a new Jamieism...

Jamie, after several minutes of practising a tiny technical point: "Shall we just do that in situ?"
Choir: *shows no signs of enthusiasm for this plan*
Jamie: "Good, I'm glad you want to!"

We also whizzed through The Wassail Song and Sir Christemas, and this week's new carol (well, in a manner of speaking) was In Dulci Jubilo, which we are doing with the Youth Choir. I seem to have written on one page of it "Like dodgy-looking people at a bus shelter" ... only I can't remember why!

No comments: