Saturday, January 27, 2007

Sibelius FTW!

Brownie points if you know what the title means without looking it up :p

It occurred to me that I haven't yet posted any Mozart mp3s, and today is his birthday. So, here are all the choruses from the C Minor Mass. (I should warn you that on this recording they use Germanic Latin, so some words will sound a bit odd, but the music is OK.)

Kyrie
Gloria
Gratias
Qui tollis
Jesu Christe/Cum sancto spiritu
Credo
Sanctus/Osanna
(Benedictus)/Osanna

And then I went one better and created some extra mp3s... especially for Libby, who said she couldn't practise the runs properly because they're too fast on her CD and she can't play them on the piano. I have no doubt a few others are in the same predicament! Here's the alto part (only) of the Cum Sancto Spiritu, and the 2nd alto part (only) of the Osanna, recorded at various different speeds. (Don't worry, this didn't take NEARLY as long to do as you might imagine!) I think the crotchet = 200 version of the Cum Sancto Spiritu and the crotchet = 80 version of the Osanna are the closest to the probable concert speed, but you never know! (And sorry for not doing any other parts - as I explained in my last post, my score is different to the one most people have, so I couldn't guarantee the notes would be right.)

Cum Sancto Spiritu (alto part only): Crotchet = 80, Crotchet = 120, Crotchet = 160, Crotchet = 200, Crotchet = 240

Osanna (2nd alto part only): Crotchet = 40, Crotchet = 60, Crotchet = 80, Crotchet = 100

Hope someone finds those of use :-)

Oh, and can I just remind you all again that there's football at Old Trafford on Wednesday night, since my efforts to get this information announced and/or added to the schedule have so far come to nothing? I will be dutifully coming to choir and sending my brother to sit in my seat at the match. Incidentally, when I explained to the guy who sits next to me why I won't be there, I found myself trying to defend the Hallé for not paying the choir - he thinks we should get the same rate as the orchestra! I must admit his argument was very convincing :-)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Many thanks the downloads are most useful. I can only listen at the mo as the "lurg" has hit our house and we are all coughing and sniffling! Thanks also for warning re-Wed we always seem to get caught.

Jocelyn Lavin said...

Listening is always a good thing - some people (not you!) need to do it a LOT more often than they currently do :p

Anonymous said...

Cheers Joce! I know there's many bits I'm not getting right, so having it to listen to and brain wash me with will hopefully right the wrongs....

Anonymous said...

Can't get the MP3s at the top to load.

Jocelyn Lavin said...

Hmm, I can't either right now - the server seems to be down. It's a friend's server that he lets me use for free, so I don't want to complain too quickly - could you try again tomorrow please? Hopefully it'll be working then.

Anonymous said...

Many thanks Jocelyn for posting the Mp3s - there were so useful for tidying up where i was going wrong - u can hum along at home and listen to yourself more i find...really helpful.

Jocelyn Lavin said...

My pleasure :-)