Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Beschaffenheit, tust du butch?

I was very amused to notice that someone found my blog by searching for a German translation of "Tenors, do you do butch?" ... which is a Fannyism from a couple of years ago. (I have no idea if the above is an accurate title of the phrase - can anyone whose German is less rusty than mine tell us, please?)

Anyway, I'm off out to an interview (woo!) in a few minutes, but I thought I'd post some mp3s before I go. Oh, and also tell you that due to the whole Sibelius anniversary thing (Thursday 20th is the actual day), he's composer of the week on Radio 3 next week (17th - 21st September), and there are also a couple of Classic FM evening concerts devoted to him on Wednesday and Thursday (19th/20th). And you may be interested in a lot of background info about his choral music.

Sibelius - Saarella
Sibelius - Venematka
Sibelius - Min Rastas
Sibelius - Oma Maa
Brahms - Alto Rhapsody
Holst - Ave Maria

More later!

EDIT: (9pm Thu) I've just replaced Venematka and Oma Maa with slightly better versions, so if you listened earlier, do try again. I know Saarella is still a bit buzzy but Graham says he will look into this for me. (Thanks Graham - and Terry!)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Jocelyn, both tracks sound fine to me, although I don't have an MP3 player so am just listening on the tiny speaker in my laptop.
It's amazing what people search for online, isn't it? I think beschaffenheit is a wonderful word for tenors.

Jocelyn Lavin said...

It is a great word, isn't it? I'm not convinced it's the CORRECT word, sadly, at least not for tenors in this context. It appears to mean condition/nature/character/quality etc.

Glad the mp3s work for you. Seems as if it might be just Graham and I being fussy!