Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Breathe between your fierys

I'll do a post with links at some stage soon when I have time, but I just wanted to get this one up. Here are some mp3s for you:

Faire is the Heaven
Toward the unknown region
O clap your hands
O nata lux
Saarella palaa
Min rastas raataa
Venematka
Justorum animae (this one's not in the right key, sorry - I couldn't find a recording that was)

And, you thought it couldn't be done, but... here are some mp3s of The Mystic Trumpeter (yes, the Hamilton Harty version!)

But, before you get TOO excited, please be warned that these are not actual recordings (because there is no actual recording in existence) - these are computer creations for the sole purpose of helping people learn the notes. They are not intended to be listened to for pleasure :-)

Choose which one suits your needs best - you don't need to download all of them (each one is about 20MB - N.B. this means they will take several minutes to download on even the fastest of connections, so please be patient). The first one has the choir parts played by what the computer thinks is a vocal "doo" sound. The second has the choir parts played with a clarinet sound - might seem an odd choice, but it makes the notes much easier to distinguish. Both of these first two versions have the four parts at equal volume. The S/A/T/B versions each have the relevant part played loudly on the clarinet, with the other three parts played quietly on a vocal "doo".

I should also warn you that:

1. I haven't included every note, due to lack of time (the piece is much longer than I thought it was when I had the idea of doing this!) All the choir bits are there, though, with a few bars' cue before each bit (it shouldn't be too hard to work out where I've cut to each time), and I've added a few random piano bits where it seemed most helpful.

2. I have guessed many of the speeds - apologies if they turn out to be wildly wrong.

3. There is no way (that I know of) of getting the computer to sing the lyrics. I'm sure Sibelius will add this feature eventually though - there's not much else the software can't do!

4. I did all this very quickly, so it's entirely likely I've made a few mistakes that I didn't notice when I listened to the finished version. Apologies, if so - hopefully there won't be any that are bad enough to put you off.

Anyway, hope this is of some use. Do let me know if it is - I love to be helpful :-)

The Mystic Trumpeter - doo
The Mystic Trumpeter - clarinet
The Mystic Trumpeter - soprano
The Mystic Trumpeter - alto
The Mystic Trumpeter - tenor
The Mystic Trumpeter - bass

Oh, and while I'm being helpful, here's a map for Albion Church.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

My map's on the choir web site!

Jocelyn Lavin said...

I should have known you would have made sure it was! I only included the link because someone said last night that the map wasn't up yet.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for creating the mp3s. I started but it was taking for ever, and then, like you, I began to realize what a long piece it is, so I gave up. Anyway, now we know what you've been doing for the last three weeks!

Jocelyn Lavin said...

Three weeks? I work faster than that :-) This took probably about six hours in total.

I was at Old Trafford last week. Apart from that, I forget what I've been up to!

MDB said...

Thanks for the mp3's - Ahhh - the full enjoyment of Felicity!!

Sorry, couldn't resist - juvenille former Cathedral layclerk!

Hope you are well

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the Harris MP3. Brill! [TS]