Saturday, June 07, 2008

Mike Hall



I have loads of things to write about and no time to do it. Hopefully soon. But in the meantime I just wanted to share some really sad news. According to the BBC News website, Mike Hall and his wife have been killed by an avalanche in the Pyrenees. For those who didn't know him, he was one of the orchestra's 2nd violinists, and one of the few whose name I knew. I attended several training courses delivered by him a few years ago, and he always said hello to me since then. He was a really, really lovely man, and I will miss him.

EDIT: The Manchester Evening News has more details, including a photo (which I've copied here) for those who aren't sure which one he was.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

didn't know mike hall, guess I haven't been around long enough, but it is sad nonetheless. just to say that it's been a pleasure to do the vocal assessment with you! catharina

Anonymous said...

What sad news. His wife Dorothy was a cellist who had played with the Hallé and the BBC Philharmonic.

Anonymous said...

Very sad news. He was a lovely man.

Jocelyn Lavin said...

Bit belatedly - thank you Catharina, it was a pleasure for me too!