Saturday, July 08, 2006

Tripping hither, tripping thither, nobody knows why or whither

I have decided that today is the day that I start to deal with my email backlog, which is now over 300 messages. So if you've emailed me and are waiting for a reply (particularly all the people who have emailed in the last week or so to ask my views about choir things), please bear with me, I'll get to you as soon as I can!

Just wanted to share something with you though. In the post today came my newsletter from the Buxton Gilbert and Sullivan Festival. I have only been to this once - a couple of years ago, just after we did Iolanthe with the Hallé, Graham E asked if anyone wanted to come and sing it on stage in Buxton. Jackie H and I went to join him, and had a great time being fairies for a week (yes, we had to dance!) And ever since then, they've been sending me the newsletters.

Anyway, it seems that this year they're doing something slightly insane, which I think is great! They're making a world record attempt - they're going to sing all 13 G&S operas more or less nonstop, aiming to finish in less than 29 hours. Not only that, they're moving round between each one, so that not all the performances are at the Buxton Opera House (although some are) - HMS Pinafore is at the Cat and Fiddle, and Iolanthe is in a cave (Poole's Cavern), for example!

The attempt starts at teatime on Friday 28th July, and they hope to be done by the early hours of Sunday 30th July. Sounds like great fun to me, and I plan to do it if I possibly can. If you want to get involved (not necessarily singing all of it, you can join for just part of it, and they also want conductors, pianists and drivers), have a look at the website.

EDIT: On a different subject, I just listened to the Hungarian text mp3s and realised how extremely quiet they are. (That's how they were on the CD - I just copied them directly and put them online.) Well, I've now fiddled with them so you can actually hear them.

Track 1 (Mikoron David, p.2)
Track 2 (En pedig Uram, p.17)
Track 3 (Igaz vagy Uram, p.24)
Track 4 (Szent David, p.43)

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you got a photo of you, Jackie and Graham as fairies?

Jocelyn Lavin said...

Sadly Graham wasn't a fairy, he was a lord :-)

But yes, I do have a photo of me and Jackie...

Anonymous said...

But not a gay lord?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the re-done Hungarian. At the men's sectional there was a concern for shortage of CDs and a general unawareness of the presence of these files on the blog!

Anonymous said...

Oh hell, should that have been 'lack of' awareness? (Or fewer awareness, or less awareness!!!!!)

Anonymous said...

What do you mean - sadly?

Jocelyn Lavin said...

You'd have to ask Graham how gay a lord he was... Thanks, Graham, for spreading the word about Hungarian files. And I knew what you meant by "unawareness", and I imagine everyone else did too, so the anonymous grammar police, if they were planning to complain, can get lost!

As for "sadly", I think we'd all have loved to see you tripping hither and thither!

Anonymous said...

Indeed, but it would have been 'tripping up hither and thither'!

Anonymous said...

Even better! ;)

Jocelyn Lavin said...

Well, Graham, you have your chance during the world record attempt... I'm sure they'd let you be a fairy if you ask nicely :p

Anonymous said...

Hey, great blog. Keep it up! I'm moving to Manc in September; having sung in some v good small choirs in London the time is right to tackle some medium/large repertoire. Sadly I'm always busy Weds eve so can't 'Halle' along with you - any suggestions?

Jocelyn Lavin said...

What a pity about you not being free on Wednesdays! Is there no way you can change that?

I'm not sure what nights other choirs rehearse on, but I'm sure I could find out. Which side of Manchester will you be on?

Anonymous said...

Hmm...will be mainly in the centre and south side. Wednesdays not negotiable at work.

Jocelyn Lavin said...

I'll investigate.

Anonymous said...

Could try St. George's Singers (Poynton)
http://www.st-georges-singers.org.uk/

- meet Tuesdays

Jocelyn Lavin said...

That's a good suggestion. I've heard good things about that choir.