Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Not much of an alto rep

My term of office on the choir committee ends at the AGM, so after that I'll no longer be an alto rep. And tonight I decided that maybe that's just as well, as there are a significant number of altos with whom I disagree on an awful lot of things. Many of them are people I regard as friends, and I hate disagreeing with them, but I do. And I feel even worse when they approach me as an alto rep and ask me to pass on their views, because although of course I will report any views aired to me, I know that I'll also be saying that I disagree with them. (I do tell them that I disagree, of course, which probably doesn't fill them with much confidence in me, but I can't lie.)

Some issues on which I differ from many of the altos (I suspect they're in the minority, but I'm not 100% sure) (I *am* sure that they believe themselves to be in the majority, though):

1. I really enjoyed the Proms in the Park, both times we've done it. I'd be delighted to do it again. Yes, I was slightly irritated to arrive and then find I could have got there much later, but that's not the first time that's happened, and once I was there I enjoyed it, even while waiting.

2. I'm not particularly bothered that we didn't do the Bridgewater Hall 10th anniversary concert.

3. I support Jamie and trust him on artistic decisions. (Yes, of course there are occasions when he does something I don't like, or that I disagree with, but on the really important issues I think he generally gets it right.)

4. I *am* extremely bothered that if he has to put up with many more attacks like tonight's, we'll lose him.

5. I think Jessica is doing an excellent job.

6. I think it is totally unacceptable to talk while the conductor is talking, whether it's Jamie or Gianandrea or Mark.

But, maybe I am alone in these views. Despite that, I do feel a bit bad now that I didn't say anything at the time, but I decided that the people who were upset were SO upset that they wouldn't have wanted to hear what I had to say, and that a better plan would be to speak to Jamie afterwards. Which I did, and he was not at all happy.

(Sorry to non-choir people who won't know what went on at tonight's rehearsal, I don't plan to relive it all.)

One good thing came of tonight, though, which is that United won. And look who scored the first goal :-)

Anyway. Time to sleep.

P.S. Happy birthday to Justin Walker, should he ever read this!

14 comments:

Yoga Troll said...

I fully agree with you... on all the points....

Anonymous said...

Jocelyn, I agree with you about much of last night's ridiculous few minutes. I felt that it was not the time for people to whinge. The Last Night of the Proms is what it is and we were all made fully aware of what the choir would be doing. The fact that the choir were not in the publicity or on the terrestrial television coverage is really beside the point.
People are allowed to disagree with decisions that are made, but the proper channel for that is thfough the choir reps and the committee, not by hijacking rehearsal time, that is pretty much needed given the imminence of the next 3 concerts. I was dismayed that people felt it necessary to take up valuable time. If people do not trust the "artistic integity" of our choral director, they can always vote with their feet and leave. i hope things will be back to normal next week (or tonight for those of you going to the sectional).
Gosh - maybe I ought to start my own blog!

Anonymous said...

Jocelyn, just wanted to let you know that I agree with your comments totally. I feel the job of the choir is to do the gigs we are asked to do, and that the proms was always sold to us as just a sing-a-long to lead the audience in Manchester, and as such it was successful.

Anonymous said...

I am glad I experienced the Proms in the Park but was a touch disappointed about the hanging around.(mainly because of my personal back difficulties) It did mean I got to listen to Katie Melua for free and I do have a BBC pass to show off with!! Your other points were absolutely correct and as far as I am aware you have done an excellent job as a rep.

Anonymous said...

Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion and probably the comments expressed last night would have been passed onto reps if it hadn't been for Jamie's remarks after the break when some members clearly saw red and felt the need to say something at the time.What I feel strongly about is your decision to then write this up on your blog which anyone can read. This certainly doesn't put the choir in a good light and may even stop someone from auditioning who may up until then have been thinking of joining and we really need new members. So why don't you stick to the fun part on your blog and keep the politics out. If the rehearsals were public you would have every right to say what you do, but they aren't so lets keep it that way.

Anonymous said...

Here Here! Rehearsals ARE private! Please don't lower the public image of the choir by publicising squabbles and politics etc in the blog!!

Jocelyn Lavin said...

Sorry that the two last anonymous commenters are unhappy. (By way of contrast, I had quite a few emails, in addition to the comments here, that thanked me for writing what I wrote.) If you read what I actually put, you'll find that I didn't actually say what happened at all, and this was deliberate. I merely stated my opinions about a few general matters, which I have done before. If this puts new members off joining, then I will feel terrible, but I think they'd probably rather have a realistic picture than one that never says anything negative. I'd be far more worried about them joining and then leaving due to experiences like Wednesday's. If I was the new alto who joined on Wednesday, I'm not sure I would have returned on Thursday. (She did, though, which is a relief - I haven't had a chance to speak to her yet, but I know that several people were so embarrassed that they felt they had to apologise to her on behalf of the choir.)

Anonymous said...

Here, here? Don't you mean there, there?

Anonymous said...

No need to guess who 'tiggy' is!!

Anonymous said...

'Outsider'??

Jocelyn Lavin said...

Thanks for those comments, Tiggy and Tritone Spider - they're appreciated.

(Our anonymous friends may have no need to guess who Tiggy is, but they have the advantage over me in that case, for I have no idea. Whereas Tritone Spider is a member of the choir but I've forgotten who it is!)

Jocelyn Lavin said...

:p

Anonymous said...

I know this is all ancient history now (thank GOD!) but I think it's important for Jocelyn to comment on whatever she bloomin well wants! It's her Blog! Even the "not so great" stuff that happens in rehearsals... And I'm glad that Tiggy (whoever he/she is) feels the same. JB and Jessica can't be unaware of this site so maybe it's nice for them to hear a bit more of a diverse opinion than the ones so publicly aired on that historic night.

Jocelyn Lavin said...

I emailed Jamie to inform him when I first started the blog, as I felt it only right that he should know I'm talking about him. Whether he's ever read it, I have no idea - he's never mentioned it. But I know Jessica reads it.