Thursday, October 12, 2006

Imagine yourselves as 3D beasts....

Painting from Symphony Hall

I'm not going to write much tonight, because I'm in SUCH a bad mood - mainly due to something that happened at work today, but not helped by tonight's rehearsal, which was good in parts but mostly just made me crosser. Mainly, as you can probably guess, I'm absolutely furious about the Beethoven-from-memory issue (not so much the decision itself, which is, I suppose, understandable, but the circumstances that led to it). I could write about that at length, and the only reason I don't plan to is because I just don't have the energy. So at least the anonymous-commenters-who-hate-me won't have too much to complain about.

Also, it's my birthday for another 13 minutes :-)

Just wanted to share a couple of things. Firstly, I had to go to Birmingham on Tuesday for an examining board meeting, and in so doing I got back too late to attend what was probably my last committee meeting. But the (Birmingham) meeting was held near Symphony Hall, so I got the chance to pop in and take a photo of one of my favourite paintings (above) which is just inside the front door.

On the train I read a fabulous book, The Lies of Locke Lamora. If you like fantasy, and roguish thieves, I recommend it very highly :-)

Have a listen to this version of Wuthering Heights. I like it a LOT. It's from a recent album by the Puppini Sisters. Great fun!

And finally, I just remembered, tonight, that I meant to dig out my books and write about unusual stuff in Beethoven 9. Well, I've got the books, and I'll write that post tomorrow. Maybe. But only if it's better than today!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you enjoyed your last 13 mins of your birthday. I too am seething about the Beethoven. I personally put a lot of effort into trying to learn it and was looking forward to an exciting evening singing as never before. Still I don't actually have to look at the copy I suppose.

Jocelyn Lavin said...

Not the same though - we still had to hold folders, so we couldn't be as free as we otherwise would have been. Plus, the bonus of everyone watching the conductor rather than their copies is not to be sniffed at!

Thanks for what you said on your card, though, which was really sweet :-)