Friday, May 02, 2008

"So we sit on the harp?"

I'll do a longer post in the next few days (if only to explain what RSS feeds are for those who were wondering!) but I just wanted to alert you to the first review of last night's concert, in the Manchester Evening News. (The choir does get a brief mention.) I'll add other links if any more reviews appear.

EDIT: There's now a Telegraph review too.

FURTHER EDIT: And the Times certainly seemed to like the choir!

YET ANOTHER EDIT: The Guardian didn't have a lot to say about the choir, but they didn't like the piece! They did mention the amusing business with the score though :-)

I thought it went well, and the Harty was GREAT fun with the orchestra. I was quite taken with all the extra percussion bits in particular, and the mystic trumpeter himself was just lovely. And I particularly enjoyed standing next to an extremely competent young bass - I like being on the dividing line between sections. (And in Ashton I stood next to a similarly competent tenor, so I've experienced the work from two different perspectives!)

I must admit that the Elgar violin concerto bored me a bit, though, although it was brilliantly played. I suspect it's just that I don't know the piece well enough.

Anyway, the concert will be on Radio 3 on Monday 5th May at 7pm, and available online for a week after that (click the link to hear it - The Mystic Trumpeter starts about 15 minutes in, and lasts about 35 minutes).

And, I was allowed to sing after all - and in case you were wondering, I did of course tell the truth about why I missed Tuesday's rehearsal! A couple of people asked me what illness I claimed to have had, but I wouldn't do that.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What's the significance of the title of this blog? Did I miss something?!

Anonymous said...

It was vis a vis an instruction to the choir about the place to sit during 'The Mystic Trumpeter'

KeyReed said...

Please tell us what RSS feeds are. I seem to have received one although I didn't sign up for it. It basically sent me my own meme post and a list of links at the bottom.

Anonymous said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSS_(file_format)

Anonymous said...

Dear anonymous, I did find some articles on the web about RSS but I anticipate, with excitment, Jocelyn's gloss on what they are and how one uses them.
I need somebody to tell me in simple stages what software if any I need. Such as what Newsreader to use; I've used Free Agent in the past for Newsgroups but I do not read any now and Outlook Express will do that job anyway.
I assume from what I have read that, rather than read each blog in which I am interested by visiting all the blogs I like, I can sign up to various blogs and get the content sent to me, but not as an e-mail; don't I need something which will read XML files?
[TS also signed in a Anon today]