Tuesday, December 22, 2009

In the dead of night, all the world lay sleeping in the blanket of the dark

I've had the subject line of this post in my head for the last three days nonstop. Brownie points if you know what song it's from!

We've had three carol concerts now, with the last one to come tonight. They've been quite fun - not as silly as in previous years, but never mind. Actually, the second and third concerts were much more fun than the first, after we were exhorted to be more festive - I think we rose to the challenge! The orchestra did too - the second concert saw the welcome return of both the moving Santa hat on the second desk of the 2nd violins, and the brass standing up for their jazzy solo in Sleigh Ride; the third concert saw the horns standing, at last, to interrupt Sleigh Ride with a line of Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer. (Sleigh Ride just sounds WRONG without that!)



The choir was quite depleted on Sunday - partly due to illness, partly due to people who'd always had other plans, and partly due to the extreme weather conditions. I can't remember the last time I saw so much snow in the city centre. This probably affected the audience too - there were lots of empty seats (rare for the carol concerts) and lots of people arrived late. A few of the orchestra were delayed as well - in fact the organist didn't arrive until the second half, so the first verse of Once in Royal had to be played on the piano.

Amy wins the prize for the most dedication to the spirit of Christmas, by the way - she left her sleighbells on her seat on Saturday night and they'd vanished when she went back for them fifteen minutes later... so she went out on Sunday morning and BOUGHT SOME MORE (from a shop I've never heard of, but it sounds lovely: Little Nut Tree Toys of Chorlton). There were quite a few sets of sleighbells being used by the alto section, in fact - I must try and get a photo of all of them together!

My favourite part of the concert (apart from Sleigh Ride, which is always great) was the bit when the Children's Choir was singing Babe of Bethlehem by Edmund Walters, and everyone else was asked to hum Away in a Manger in the last verse. It was a magical moment. I noticed that all the brass players (who don't play in that piece) were humming along too, with contented looks on their faces. Lovely!

There's been some debate in the alto section over which is the cutest member of the Children's Choir. We're torn between the dark-haired boy on the end of the front row, and the blondish bespectacled boy in the middle of the third row. Both of them are so engaged with their performance that it's difficult to look away from either of them. (The others in the choir are all great too, but these two are the ones who've caught our eye.)

The Youth Choir are sounding really good, too - in fact, better than they've sounded in years. There are fewer of them than there used to be, but they're really good. (Quality rather than quantity is our unofficial 2nd alto motto - on Sunday afternoon there were seven 2nd altos and twenty-three 1sts. Usually there are more of both, but the ratio is usually about the same - three times as many firsts as seconds.)

I didn't realise until yesterday that Petroc Trelawny, our presenter, has a blog on the Telegraph website. Looking back a few entries, I found a great post he wrote about our very own orchestra.

Talking of great posts, here's one by Chris Rowbury (From the Front of the Choir) about the connection between singing and our sense of self. It mentions the Alzheimer's Choir that Amy told me about the other day, plus all sorts of interesting related things.

On a similar subject, here's a BBC News article about how stroke patients were helped by Kenny Rogers songs.

And here's a fascinating one from the BBC News Magazine, about several unusual carol singing traditions in various parts of the UK.

A Telegraph article tells us why Christmas carols make the church feel nervous.

From Tom Service, news that the British Library has put parts of the autograph score of Messiah online. It didn't work when I tried it, though, so I lost interest.

Here's an article from BBC Music Magazine about how audiences are different in different countries.

The MEN tells us that both the Manchester Boys' Choir and the Manchester Girls' Choir have ceased to exist because the council will no longer fund them. The official reason is falling numbers (the girls' choir apparently only had six members), which makes it all the more impressive that our own children's choir had more than eighty members on stage this weekend at each concert. I wondered for a moment whether those two facts are connected, but I think the MBC and MGC were shrinking long before our children's choir was formed.

The MEN also tells us that the new yellow tram is now in operation. I'm quite excited about this - sad, I know!

I mentioned the Duel in the Pool that took place in Manchester this weekend. Unsurprisingly the USA won overall, but a local guy beat Michael Phelps!

I absolutely love this post (from Making Light) about the Christmas lights of Mousehole.

I also love the Astronomy Picture of the Day from Saturday - an aurora AND a meteor.

And finally, in case I don't get round to writing again in time, don't forget the NORAD Santa Tracker on Christmas Eve (especially if your kids have never seen it) and the Sydney-Hobart Yacht Race on Boxing Day. And if the days start to merge into one another, Is It Christmas? will help :-)

9 comments:

Chris Rowbury said...

Hi Jocelyn

Thanks for mentioning my blog post!

We too had a decimated choir AND audience on Saturday. Many of our choir and audience members live in the countryside around Stamford (Lincolnshire) and just couldn't get out of their villages! We mustered around 35 singers, but only half our usual audience.

I was up in Manchester recently to see the women and surrealism exhbition and was mightily impressed by your big Christmas market. I'll be up again at the end of February to run a workshop. Hope the snow's gone by then!

Have a great Christmas.

Chris @ From the Front of the Choir

Graham E said...

Edmund Walters has scored some terrific stuff for children/orchestra. I have a CD 'A Festival of Christmas (RLPO/RLPO Choir/St. Ambrose Junior School Choir, conducted by the man himself, and it's on Spotify!! Love tracks 3, 6, 12, 13, 14. Did a couple of these with Raymond Lomax in the FTH a few years back and can still picture his face as he conducted the kids up in the side circles.

amysmallperson said...

Thank you for all the mentions - I love the Christmas concerts so much and there's no way I would attend without sleigh bells! In fact, I also bought my Dad some yesterday so that he would have some to shake in the audience. Look out for a report on increased sleigh bell sales in the recession! I'm actually quite jealous of Sarah's nice set from Forsyth's, might have to invest in some of those for next year. The Children's Choir is so wonderful, it makes me quite emotional seeing them because it reminds me of my days in Moorlands Music Centre Choir, the start of my choir singing, and I think how lucky the Halle Children's Choir are to have the chance to perform with the orchestra. They are the future of our very own choir, after all, and I hope we are as much of an inspiration to them as choirs that I sang with were to me when I was their age. Merry Christmas xXx

Jocelyn Lavin said...

Chris: Let me know when you're up here - it might be nice to meet for coffee, and I'll publicise your workshop if it's open to the public.

Graham: Thanks for that, I will look it up.

Amy: I'm amused at the possible economic impact of our sleighbell buying :-)

soy said...

I know this post is old, but what line are those lyrics from? I'm dying to know, because I love the little snippet I've heard off of Rick Steve's European Christmas, lol.

Jocelyn Lavin said...

Soy: It's the opening line of "Babe of Bethlehem" by Edmund Walters.

Anonymous said...

I grew up thinking Babe of Bethlehem was as well known outside my world as Silent Night. My father worked with Walter Edmund Walters (Wally) in the Music Department of I.M. Marsh College and accompanied his choir at the Albert Hall. He wrote many beautiful songs and Carols, and arranged a number of other pieces. His arrangement of God Bless the Prince of Wales was beautiful (a sentiment shared by Prince Charles), and was released as a single to celebrate the engagement of Charles to Diana Spencer.

Edmund Walters died in 2003, aged 83. My father played Wally's arrangement of Iona at his funeral.

Hopefully, one day, Edmund Walters and his work will be more widely appreciated

Kristin said...

I'm on this page because I was also looking for the carol snippet from Rick Steves! Glad to have an answer.

Jill said...

Dear Anonymous, I too attended Wally’s funeral, it was an extremely emotional day.
Wally was originally from Milford Haven in Pembrokeshire and following his retirement from I.M.Marsh College and the Liverpool Phil he spent a good deal of time back in Pembrokeshire where he co-founded the Landsker Singers. We have continued to sing the music he so generously shared with us for the past 30 years and I feel privileged to have known him and to have sung under his direction. He was a man of immense talent (and charisma) and we miss him greatly. A concert in his memory and featuring his music was held Mossley Hill a year after his death and was a wonderful celebration of his life and his work.
Edmund Walters was, and is, so valued by those of us who have had the good fortune to have been exposed to his greatness both as a man and a musician. I sincerely hope, as you do, that his work will indeed become more widely appreciated