Saturday, February 19, 2011

Like a motorway of happiness

Look at me, doing a post only a week after my last one! It's mainly a procrastination tactic, I suspect - I should be packing :-)

Not much to say, mind you. House sale still not completed, but the surveyor is coming on Monday morning, and that's the main remaining potential stumbling block. Fingers crossed. Repossession date is a week on Monday, and I haven't had official word that the other side will agree to put it on hold while the sale gets sorted, but I'm told they're likely to (it's certainly in their best interests). Either way, I REALLY need to get on with my packing! Maybe this evening.

Only one bit of singing this week, but it was good because our esteemed boss came to visit us, which always perks everyone up. We sang a bit of Sea Drift and a bit of the Spring Symphony. Both are going well. Although I was distraught that Fanny asked me for songs that include descending perfect fifths, and I couldn't remember a single one! Must memorise my own list (link to side)... Anyway, here's a selection (the fifth in each case is where the hyphen is):

Feel-ings, nothing more than feelings
Wise men - say only fools rush in (“Can’t help falling in love”, Elvis Presley)
Do you love - me (Brian Poole & the Tremoloes)
I love you ba-by (“Can’t take my eyes off you”, Andy Williams)
And - he shall purify (“Messiah”, Handel)
For - unto us a child is born (“Messiah”, Handel)
He - trusted in God (“Messiah”, Handel)

I think "Do you love me" is the one that's most familiar, but if you don't know the song you may disagree!

Just a few links for you. Tom Service, in the Guardian, writes intriguingly about the difference between British and European orchestras. On a related note, Charlotte Higgins, also in the Guardian, writes about what makes the Berlin Phil so special. And Stephen Hough explains very convincingly why Radio 3's recent decision to recommit to live concert broadcasts is such good news.

3 comments:

Katie said...

Hi, I tracked you down via a very convoluted route of Youtube --> Linkedin --> your website --> your Twitter --> Here. Apologies for the hijack (and stalking).

I am desperately seeking a piano arrangement of "Every Loser Wins" and I wondered where you got it from, or if you arranged it yourself. It looks in the video like it might be sheet music but it's hard to tell.

I would be SO grateful if you could let me know either way, because if it's available out there somewhere then I NEED it!! :D

I've included my facebook so you can see I'm real and not some weirdo, even if I do love Every Loser Wins lol

Many many thanks
Katie

Anonymous said...

p.s. I forgot to say that I loved what you did with it, and very impressive use of the iPhone too :)

Jocelyn Lavin said...

Hi Katie,

Thanks for your comment! I don't use Facebook, so I can't contact you that way. I hope you come back to look here.

I arranged "Every Loser Wins" myself, and would be happy to sell you a copy. Email me at jocelyn@vamptillready.com to sort it out. (That email is on my website too btw!)

Jocelyn