Friday, November 11, 2005

More Russian basses, please!

No quotes tonight. And not much to say. It was the orchestral rehearsal for The Bells. Mark had promised us last night that he wouldn't need us for the full three and a quarter hours, and it was looking as if he might go back on his word, but he did let us out 15 minutes early in the end.

Things didn't go too badly overall. True, there were a lot of places where we weren't together at all, because of people not watching (at one point most of the people behind me, not realising Mark was slowing down, reached the end of a section THREE BARS ahead of those of us who didn't have our heads buried in our copies!) But the notes were all more or less right, and the words weren't bad either. And the thing sounds very lovely indeed with the orchestra, particularly in the last movement. Wish I had someone coming to the concert who actually knows me, but my friends always seem to have better things to do when I ask them :-(

We were quite taken with the triangle player, who we'd never seen before. He was the first member of the orchestra to be in his seat, and sat there practising intently while the rest of the players wandered onto the stage. Dr Liz was convinced he was there on a work experience placement, but I don't think he was that young! Could be wrong though....

Talking of the orchestra, there were 4 people I was at school with on the platform tonight, which I think is a record. John the horn bumper and Sharon the cellist have been members of the orchestra for a while, but I was delighted to see Richard back leading the 2nd violins as he did in Gerontius, as he was actually in the same class as me. The others were a couple of years younger, as was John the tenor soloist.

John Daszak is the only originally-booked soloist who actually turned up, and he sang as fabulously as ever. But the two replacements were just as good - a young soprano and bass, both from St Petersburg (didn't catch their names). Neither of them looked particularly Russian, but they sounded it - especially the bass! He didn't sing till the last movement, and we hadn't noticed him till then. But when we reached his solo, he ambled onto the stage, tall and skinny and very casual in jeans. And then he opened his mouth. Wow! I think several of us melted on the spot. He had the most amazing sound, and fantastic diction (I could understand every word) - and oh, so very Russian. I'm really looking forward to seeing what reception he gets on Saturday!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm coming on Saturday (had to take a short leave of absence because of work and I'm absolutely GUTTED I can't do the concert) so consider me moral support for everyone!
Really looking forward to hearing it all together. Good luck everyone!!