Saturday, October 03, 2009

We are the champions!

Yesterday was the 2009 Classic FM Gramophone Awards, for which our Gerontius CD was a finalist in the choral category, and we won! We didn't win the overall award for recording of the year, but it's still pretty good. We beat The Sixteen in the choral category, although they did win Artist of the Year!

I'm off to sing for Dr Liz in a few hours - if you're wondering why I'm awake, it's because I'm nocturnal at the moment (I often am). Just wanted to post the award news. But I may as well share my recent links while I'm here.

Gustavo Dudamel is getting a rock star's reception in LA.

Some amazing images from the Big Picture showing China's birthday celebrations. They are great at doing stuff in perfect formation. I'd love to know whether they can just all do it perfectly first time or it takes days of rehearsal!

Here's a site that has no practical use at all - but just waggle your mouse over the picture. Very therapeutic!

A bit more info about the Manchester Camerata/Venice synchronised concert.

From the "you couldn't make it up" department, the Hull City first team squad went for a walk across the Humber Bridge and saved someone from suicide as a result.

A nice article from the Independent about how a Salford school improved its results by working with the world's best orchestra.

Alex James has been conducting again, this time at the Albert Hall, and he got very nervous.

The roads are all closed in a large part of Manchester city centre next week - beware.

A friend told me about the Cragg Coiners yesterday - a fascinating story, I'd never heard it before!

And finally, I was very amused yesterday lunchtime, when two of London's tallest buildings were having an argument with each other via Twitter.

No comments: