Friday, October 09, 2009

We do hear them speak in our tongue

I can't say that I've particularly enjoyed this week's rehearsals (although Wednesday's was MUCH more pleasant than Monday's), but that's mainly because I never really liked The Kingdom in the first place, so I'm a bit sick of it after rehearsing it for five weeks. Next week is the end of it, though, and I do usually enjoy performances of things (even Messiah!). In this case we're recording it too, AND there are four consecutive days of singing it, so I might be REALLY sick of it... but at least after Saturday we'll get a change! And maybe I'll have an epiphany during the week and grow to love the thing anyway.

I do have a few links for you, though. Let's see...

For some reason it only occurred to me this week to look at the Amazon reviews for our award-winning Gerontius CD.

The Guardian talks about what conductors do and how much they get paid.

My old school is having an open day (free, no booking required) on Saturday 17th October from 11am. Perfect timing for any choir members who are in town early before our rehearsal and always fancied having a look at Chet's.

BBC Music Magazine has a new concert diary, although it doesn't seem to have all concerts in it (they didn't have The Kingdom when I looked!)

Here's a thing about the eigenharp, a.k.a the "sci-fi bassoon".

The Guardian tried to calculate how much it costs to run Spotify... and then corrected their sums shortly afterwards.

The Guardian also quoted a BIllboard report which lists the ten best ways for UK pop artists to gain exposure. I think this is fascinating. For reference, the list is:

1. Doing a guest performance on The X Factor
2. Having your music featured in a high-rotation TV ad for Apple
3. Getting added to the Radio 1 playlist
4. Having your song covered on The X Factor
5. Performing on Friday Night With Jonathan Ross
6. Getting a listing on the iTunes front page
7. Performing at Glastonbury
8. Getting added to the Radio 2 playlist
9. Getting a cover story in Q magazine
10. Performance/interview on Zane Lowe's Radio 1 show

Until I read this piece about someone creating an ending for Turandot, I hadn't actually realised it was unfinished. I need a bigger clue than that (for example, calling something the Unfinished Symphony!)

Tom Service raves about a film called Trip to Asia. It sounds familiar, but I can't imagine how I could have seen it, unless it's been on TV - does anyone know whether it has?

It seems there's someone collecting love stories from passengers on the 85 bus. I have to say I've never seen any of these postcards, and I've caught the 85 many times (it's the only bus that goes from the city centre to the inconvenient location of most of our rehearsals). Not that she'd get any useful stories out of me - I mostly live vicariously!

And finally, this is pretty, and very therapeutic: Wheel of Stars.

No comments: