Wednesday, March 22, 2006

"They look like kind of crazed clowns!"

This referred to the tenors, who were this week's stars. The facial expression in question was the one they were apparently doing when attempting to keep the rest of the choir in tune. (I was fascinated, btw, to get a chance to watch the 1st altos sing their first line of Salvator Mundi. I'd noticed immediately that most of them were flat on their 2nd note - this was very noticeable because it's supposed to be the same A as the first note of the piece, 3 notes earlier - and when I watched them, I could guess why. A few of them (I could name names, but I won't) were doing the oft-demonstrated 'correct facial expression' (i.e. high cheekbones) but most weren't, and the difference was striking.)

Not many new Jamieisms tonight (although "Use me! Abuse me!" came up a few times - I think he's decided it's a good catchphrase) but I thought I'd do a post while Blogger is actually working. (Plus, I have some work I must do before I can go to bed, and I need to work up some energy for it...) For those who don't know, this blog costs me nothing, because I use the services of Blogger (owned by Google, FYI). Usually it all works fine, but if there is a problem with the Blogger servers - as there has been in the last week or so - then there's nothing I can do about it, sorry.

There was "Folks, the words are reh-deh-mee-hee-hee... stee-hee-hee...", but that one was a bit visual... There was also some discussion of Cylons (in connection with resonating wavebands - don't ask...)

Anyway, we did a lot of stuff. For those who weren't there: Salvator Mundi, Nunc Dimittis, Lord, Thou hast been our refuge (with the semi-chorus for the first time), A Hymn to the Virgin, Psalm 67 and the last bit of Laudibus in Sanctis. I'm still bitter about the whole semi-chorus thing, but they did sound quite good by the end (although not at first - there were a few voices that stuck out quite prominently, plus they seemed unable to follow the beat). I must admit that the fact they are also singing Choir 2 in A Hymn to the Virgin made things a lot worse for me personally. I sang this piece at school and loved it, but we did it as two equal choirs, so of course I sang choir 2 as I always have, and that's the part I have always loved. I was delighted when we did it in the carol concerts a few years ago, until I found that we were doing it as main choir and semi-chorus and I wasn't picked (I'm not talking about the last time, when we did it with the Youth Choir - I thought that worked really well). So tonight, I assumed it was going to be the semi-chorus doing Choir 2, but Jamie never actually said so before we started singing, so I got all hopeful that we were singing it antiphonally (i.e. as two equal choirs on opposite sides). But it turned out that my initial assumption was correct. Oh well :-(

Right. Must do some work. (I'm not at choir for the next two Wednesdays, btw - although I can do the extra Thu and Fri rehearsals - so if anyone wants to jot down any Jamieisms that'd be appreciated. Next Wednesday I'm off to see United play West Ham - originally the tickets were for a Saturday, but the match was changed due to the Carling Cup Final. I'd try to give the ticket away, but I'm taking my 9-year-old nephew. And the following Wednesday I'm being one of Joseph's brothers, singing in a school show!)

Before I go, though...

FOR EASY REFERENCE - links to mp3s of all the a cappella gig stuff, in running order (except 2 items, one of which is extremely easy... All are in the correct key except the two indicated.)

God is gone up - Finzi
Salvator Mundi - Tallis
Mihi autem nimis - Tallis (G minor - major 3rd lower than our version)
O Nata lux - Tallis
A Hymn to the Virgin - Britten
Nunc Dimittis - Holst
The Lamb - Tavener
Christe, qui lux es et dies - Byrd
Laudibus in Sanctis - Byrd
God be Merciful (Psalm 67) - Burton
Loquebantur variis linguis - Tallis (G minor - minor 3rd lower than our version)
Lord, Thou hast been our refuge - Vaughan Williams (with baritone soloist singing some of the semi-chorus bits)

EDIT: Please note that if you are reading this after April, most of these links will no longer work.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder if Jamie really wants us to sing all those aitches he so audibly demonstrated in reh-deh-mee-Hee-Hee-stee-Hee-Hee. Surely not!

Jocelyn Lavin said...

I'm sure he would be horrified at the the thought we might take him literally :p

Anonymous said...

I'll happily note jamieisms/write a blogger report for the rehearsals that you're not there.

Dr Liz

Jocelyn Lavin said...

Thanks Liz. When are you going to start another blog yourself btw? I miss it!