Wednesday, April 26, 2006

"I can only see the bottom half of your body!" said the organist to the conductor...

Beetham Tower

So, this is the Beetham Tower. Hands up who's heard of it? Tallest UK building outside London, etc.? ... OK, now hands up who's noticed that it is RIGHT OPPOSITE THE BRIDGEWATER HALL?

No, me neither, until tonight, and that was only because the sunset was glinting prettily off the side of it (not the side in that picture, sadly). In my defence, I don't often have reason to look up that high in the city centre (the light pollution makes the stars invisible, see) and the bottom of the building isn't that different from all the other new buildings.

Anyway. Orchestral rehearsal for the Fauré tonight. Went OK, although the highlight was definitely finishing over an hour early! No huge disasters from our point of view. We were somewhat disappointed with the soloists - the baritone was OK but nothing spectactular, and the soprano was flat. The fact that there was no applause at the end of the Pie Jesu was very telling, I thought. But maybe they'll both rise to the occasion tomorrow.

We didn't have much time with Jamie, hence no Jamieisms. Although there were an alarming amount of giddy-ups from him during the off-the-voice arpeggio warmup...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Regarding the Beetham Tower, I heard on the radio yesterday that the builders have got to the top! So that's as high as its going to get.

Dr Liz

Anonymous said...

Re: Beetham Tower. Rachel and I named it 'The Sticklebrick' 'cos that's what it looked like when it was being built.
[Sticklebrick = child's building brick with spiky bits to hold the structure together - if in doubt try googling!]

Anonymous said...

p.s. I thought the sops sounded really good in the orchestral rehearsal!

Anonymous said...

It's a pity that the conductor did not remember to introduce the soloists - that might have helped the rapport, but not the pitch problem!

Anonymous said...

You can see as far as Liverpool and Blackpool at the top. Its a shame only the architect will get to appreciate the view when its completed...

Jocelyn Lavin said...

Barbara, I agree with you about the sops - see more recent post. And I had totally forgotten about Sticklebricks! If I remember correctly, I seemed to be forever standing on mine and hurting my feet as a result :p

I think we need to make friends with the architect (who I believe has bought the penthouse). That'd be a good place to relax between rehearsal and concert!

Anonymous said...

Not with my head for heights! Can't even look up at it with feet on the ground.