Saturday, December 23, 2006

Quiz answers

Just realised I haven't posted these yet, so here they are. Anna the Commenter got 36 out of 65, did you beat her?

Also, Muso magazine asked me to mention this survey, and although I usually ignore such requests, this one might amuse some of you and seems harmless enough :-)

And, if you got bored by all the ranting on my last post, you might have not read as far as the pictures. Sorry - I've had some sleep now, so if I find anything new to complain about tonight, I'll try to keep it to myself! Instead I'll focus on those oboes in The Shepherds' Farewell....

Oh, and this is what's going on at G-Mex tonight (and last night), in case you were wondering. Review here.


Christmas lyric quiz answers
25 carols

1. It Came Upon a Midnight Clear:
And man, at war with man, hears not the love song which they bring // O hush the noise, ye men of strife, and hear the angels sing.

2. O Little Town of Bethlehem:
The dark night wakes, the glory breaks, and Christmas comes once more. (Note: this is from a verse that isn't included in "Carols for Choirs" for some reason.)

3. Nativity Carol:
Far away silent he lay // Born today, your homage pay

4. Jingle Bells:
Now the ground is white // Go it while you're young // Take the girls tonight, and sing this sleighing song

5. In dulci jubilo:
O that we were there, O that we were there!

6. Good king Wenceslas:
Fails my heart, I know not how; I can go no longer.

7. Unto us is born a Son:
So he gave the word to slay // And slew the little childer

8. Il est né le divin enfant:
Jouez hautbois, résonnez musettes

9. A merry Christmas:
And we won't go till we've got some, so bring some out here

10. Here we come a-wassailing:
And God bless you, and send you a happy New Year

11. O come all ye faithful:
Sing, choirs of angels, sing in exultation

12. I saw three ships:
And all the bells on earth shall ring on Christmas Day, on Christmas Day

13. Hark the herald angels sing:
Born to raise the sons of earth // Born to give them second birth.

14. We three kings:
Sorrowing, sighing, bleeding, dying // Sealed in the stone-cold tomb

15. Coventry Carol:
Herod, the king, in his raging // Chargèd he hath this day // His men of might, in his own sight // All young children to slay

16. While shepherds watched:
Goodwill henceforth from heaven to men begin and never cease

17. Sir Christèmas:
Who is there that singeth so?

18. Ding dong merrily on high:
May you beautifully rime your evetime song, ye singers

19. O come, o come, Emmanuel:
From the dread caverns of the grave // From nether hell, thy people save.

20. Sussex carol:
All out of darkness we have light // Which made the angels sing this night

21. In the bleak midwinter:
What can I give him, poor as I am? // If I were a shepherd, I would bring a lamb

22. Silent Night:
Glories stream from heaven afar // Heavenly hosts sing Alleluia

23. Gabriel's Message:
Most highly favoured lady, Gloria!

24. The shepherds' farewell:
God go with you, God protect you // Guide you safely through the wild

25. Past three o'clock:
And a cold frosty morning


... and 40 Christmas songs

1. I believe in Father Christmas (Greg Lake):
They said there’d be snow at Christmas // They said there’d be peace on Earth // Alleluia, Noël, be it Heaven or Hell // The Christmas we get, we deserve.

2. Lonely This Christmas (Mud):
I just break down as I look around and the only things I see // are emptiness and loneliness and an unlit Christmas tree

3. Do they know it's Christmas? (Band Aid):
Where the only water flowing is the bitter sting of tears

4. The Power of Love (Frankie Goes to Hollywood):
I'll protect you from the hooded claw // Keep the vampires from your door

5. Fairytale of New York (Pogues & Kirsty MacColl):
You took my dreams from me when I first found you // I kept them with me, babe // I put them with my own

6. Santa Claus is coming to town (Crystals/Bruce Springsteen/others):
He knows if you’ve been bad or good, so be good, for goodness’ sake!

7. Have yourself a merry little Christmas (Judy Garland/others):
Through the years we all will be together, if the fates allow

8: Merry Xmas Everybody (Slade):
Does your granny always tell you that the old songs are the best?

9. Winter Wonderland (Darlene Love/others):
He’ll say “are you married?” - we’ll say “no, man! But you can do the job while you’re in town!”

10. Mary's Boy Child (Harry Belafonte/Boney M):
Trumpets sound and angels sing - listen to what they say // That man will live for evermore because of Christmas Day.

11. Christmas Alphabet (McGuire Sisters/Dickie Valentine/others):
M is for the Mistletoe where everyone is kissed

12. Walking in the air (Aled Jones):
Children gaze open-mouthed, taken by surprise // Nobody down below believes their eyes.

13. Frosty the Snowman (Ronettes/others):
And he only paused a moment when he heard him holler “stop!”

14. Please come home for Christmas (Eagles/Bon Jovi):
Friends and relations send salutations // Sure as the stars shine above

15. All I want for Christmas is my 2 front teeth (Spike Jones/Tiny Tim/others):
It seems so long since I could say “Sister Susie sitting on a thistle!” // Gosh, oh gee - how happy I’d be if I could only whistle!

16. Sleigh Ride (Ronettes/others):
Let’s take that road before us and sing a chorus or two

17. Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow (Vaughn Monroe/others):
But if you’ll really hold me tight // All the way home I’ll be warm!

18. Santa Baby (Eartha Kitt/Madonna/Calista Flockhart/others):
Think of all the fun I've missed // Think of all the fellas that I haven't kissed

19. O Holy Night (*N Sync/others):
Fall on your knees // Oh hear the angel voices!

20. I wish it could be Christmas every day (Wizzard):
Oh when the snowman brings the snow // well, he just might like to know // he’s put a great big smile on somebody’s face.

21. Wonderful Christmas Time (Paul McCartney/Tom McRae):
We're here tonight, and that's enough

22. A spaceman came travelling (Chris de Burgh):
This lovely music went trembling through the ground // And many were wakened on hearing that sound

23. All I want for Christmas is you (Mariah Carey):
I don't want a lot for Christmas // There's just one thing I need

24. Christmas Song (aka "Chestnuts roasting on an open fire") (Nat King Cole/others):
Although it’s been said many times, many ways

25. Stop the Cavalry (Jona Lewie):
Wish I was at home for Christmas

26. Cold Cold Christmas (Dana):
Yesterday I saw your Mom and Dad // We bought our cards together

27. Little Saint Nick (Beach Boys):
Run run reindeer // He don't miss no one

28. Rockin' around the Christmas tree (Brenda Lee/Mel Smith & Kim Wilde):
You will get a sentimental feeling when you hear voices singing: "let's be jolly, deck the halls with boughs of holly"

29. The Winter Song (Angel):
Hear the angels join the choir, let them take the music higher

30. Another rock and roll Christmas (Gary Glitter):
You never know, it might snow tonight

31. Last Christmas (Wham):
I thought you were someone to rely on // Me? I guess I was a shoulder to cry on

32. Stay another day (East 17):
Good times we had return to haunt me // Though it's for you, all that I do seems to be wrong.

33. When a child is born (Johnny Mathis):
A silent wish sails the seven seas // The winds of change whisper in the trees // And the walls of doubt crumble tossed and torn,

34. Keeping the dream alive (Freiheit):
The hopes we had were much too high // Way out of reach but we have to try

35. He's the little boy that Santa Claus forgot (Nat King Cole):
I'm so sorry for that laddie // He hasn't got a daddy

36. Christmas (baby please come home) (U2):
They're singing "Deck the Halls" // But it's not like Christmas at all

37. Merry Christmas Everyone (Shakin' Stevens):
Snow is falling, all around me // Children playing, having fun

38. Thank God it's Christmas (Queen):
Oh my love we've lived in troubled days // Oh my friend we have the strangest ways

39. Wombling Merry Christmas (The Wombles):
Open your eyes, look to the skies when you're lonely

40. 2000 miles (Pretenders):
... is very far through the snow

No comments: