Monday, June 25, 2007

Quick update

It's been a while since I've written anything here lately, for various reasons. But I thought I'd do a post, if only to list a load of links I've been saving, before they get REALLY out of date....

Here's the Guardian review of The Kingdom. And the Independent review of the Elgar events in Birmingham. And a slightly alarming rumour about them demolishing the Briton's Protection! (scroll down...)

You'll have seen the big row between Sony and Manchester Cathedral, which doesn't yet seem to have been resolved. The strange part about it is that I'd assumed, when the story hit the news, that the game in question must have just been released, but it actually came out in March!

I enjoyed watching the Cardiff Singer of the World, as, no doubt, many of you did too. I'm not sure I would have picked the same winner, although he was very good. I was pleased Elizabeth Watts (the English soprano) won the song prize, and I think I would have given her the main prize too. I'd hoped Maria Isabel Vera (the Chilean mezzo) would win, but I agree with the commentators that she wasn't as impressive in the final as she was in the heat. But my favourite of the whole competition was actually David DQ Lee (the Canadian/Korean countertenor). He won his round but wasn't selected for the final. Normally I hate countertenors - partly on principle (as if there aren't too few alto opportunities out there already, without men taking them!) and partly because I just don't like the sound of any I've heard before. But he was the only competitor that made me sit up and watch him properly, rather than just have the singing on in the background while I was actually concentrating on something else.

This past weekend I have watched an awful lot of Glastonbury on the BBC (official site here). There were lots of bands and singers I really like (and for those who don't know me, I should maybe clarify that I listen to all this sort of music much more than the stuff on Cardiff Singer of the World - although I listen to that too!). I think my favourite performances were from the Arctic Monkeys and the Fratellis. Neither performance was perfect - lots of the Arctic Monkeys' singing was incredibly out of tune, in particular - but both bands made up for their flaws in other ways. I also loved The Who and Shirley Bassey - always great to hear historic songs performed live by the original artists. Hard to believe that Pete Townshend and Roger Daltrey are both in their sixties - and Shirley Bassey is seventy. And they all still sound fabulous! Good news for those who worry about losing their voices as they get older.

Other acts I liked: Amy Whitehouse, The Coral, Dirty Pretty Things, the Kaiser Chiefs, the Killers, the Kooks, Lily Allen, and Maximo Park. I was a bit disappointed with Bjork and Rufus Wainwright, though. I do usually like Bjork (I did even before we were in a concert with her - remember that? In Verbier many years ago?), but on this occasion I was unmoved (although the commentators kept saying how great her show was). Maybe Dr Liz can tell us whether or not Bjork was better live - she was there (rather her than me! I like watching from the comfort of my armchair, but the last standing gig I went to, a couple of years ago - Red Hot Chili Peppers, since you ask - was enough to convince me never to go to one again, let alone one with mud!). And Rufus Wainwright was fine for most of the time, but he and his sister absolutely RUINED Hallelujah. He kept playing the wrong chords, and the singing (from both of them) was no better. It sounded as if they hadn't actually rehearsed it. (Rufus Wainwright is one of those people - like Jeff Buckley - who seems to be regarded as a bit of a god by his fans... they seem unable to admit that he could possibly not be perfect.)

Anyway, I need to go and do yet more job hunting. But first... Some of you have already noticed that my unofficial choir website has gone (and there is a note in its place to explain why). I may have to stop this blog too, but I'm not sure yet. If I do keep it going, it will probably be slightly different. I don't want to go into any more detail here, but I appreciate the supportive emails, and I will reply to them all ASAP.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello there,
I can't find your email address so I will just say here that if this blog does have to be closed, I will be very upset, and it is in the interests of archiving to preserve it. What you have done to bring alive the choir from the inside is wonderful! Thank you for much happy reading :)

Anonymous said...

Please don't stop your blog. I really enjoy reading about the choir from the inside, and can't see any reason why you shouldn't publish your own views in this way.

I also think it's a pity that your choir website has gone. The official website is often very out out of date - the list of recently performed works doesn't include anything (apart from Messiah) performed during the last season!

Anonymous said...

Glastonbury....

Bjork was really good live! I normally don't listen to much of her stuff, but the gig was amazing.

The standing up was pretty tiring, especially with all the mud, so I spent most of my time in the cabaret tent, watching the likes of Four Poofs and a Piano, Mitch Benn, Marcus Brigstock, Barry Cryer and other funny people. I laughed for hours!

Despite all the mud, which was everywhere and on the sunday night was running in rivers, I would do it again, and I hate camping.

Oh yes, another highlight was the National Youth Orchestra on the pyramid stage on Sunday morning. It was very surreal to wake up to their soundcheck, which was Copeland's fanfare for a common man. My only gripe about them was that their programme was almost entirely American composers. What about the Elgar?!?! I'm sure a bit of Pomp and Circumstance would have gone down nicely!

Anonymous said...

I don't see how they can stop you doing the blog even if you have to remove all references to Hallé and using a secret code! I'm sure the choir members will appreciate your keeping it going.

Rob said...

Oh gosh! I only found this blog a few months ago and as a keen amateur orchestral player I thought it was ace. Please try to keep it going. People can be so petty.

I still manage standing gigs, though I lurk at the back if no obvious shelter from the bouncing booze-sloshers is to be had. Mud, though, I have foresworn forever.

Anonymous said...

Hi. You don't know me and I live on the other side of the pond but I read this regularly because I love choral music, listening and performing, and this is always good reading. Even if I'm not an alto currently. I really hope they don't take it down - that's rather lame of them for suggesting it.

Jocelyn Lavin said...

Thank you for all the above comments - I can't reply to any of them with specific details, but they are very much appreciated.

Robbiegirl said...

Although I don't comment much, I do read your blog regularly and would miss it if it had to be closed.

Just as an aside, Liz Watts is a good friend of my choir director and singing teacher!