Tuesday, June 05, 2007

"We don't do diction here... we do words."

A quick post, because I don't have very much to say, plus I'm in the middle of tidying my spare room in an effort to find my CRB certificate. But I thought I'd better write something so that no more people will obligated to send me links to reviews! (I'm very grateful, and please don't stop doing it, because I do miss stuff occasionally - but lots of people have emailed to point these out to me, and I feel a bit guilty because I'd already seen them but just not summoned the energy to post!)

The M.E.N. gives us 4 stars but the only thing they say about the choir is that we were sometimes overpowered by the orchestra. (Graham E says that this was indeed the case.) I suppose we should be grateful that we were mentioned at all - we're not always!

The Times gives 5 stars and says the Hallé sounded like the best orchestra in the world. Sadly this review is of Saturday's concert rather than Sunday's, but still!

Talking of Graham E, he very kindly sent me some proper photos of Mark getting his present - they're on my choir photo page, as are a few pics from the Hilton party on Sunday afternoon. This is the view through the floor, for those who didn't dare stand over the window!



The concert went well, anyway. The bit I've had on the brain ever since is my favourite bit, which is the men's "this is he which sat for alms" on page 130. That just sounded fabulous every single time they did it! Although I also loved the 2nd bass bottom C near the end (this was the point about which we got the only Jamieism of the day (apart from the one in the title): "What I think you need to do is be a little more ambitious pitchwise..." - I don't think he meant the 2nd basses though, they sounded great!)

Oh, and I did get a chance to speak to the lovely Andrew. He told me that he's only back for this weekend - they also asked him to do a recording of L'Après-midi d'un faune, but he wasn't free for that. But he will be playing with them again in the Prom that they're doing. So you can watch him on TV :-)

And finally - if you feel like a water fight this Saturday, Platt Fields is the place to be!

No comments: