Monday, January 05, 2009

The twelfth day of Christmas: Manchester Rap

To finish with, a song that was never a hit, and was never (as far as I recall) performed on TOTP. If there was a video, I never saw it (and I can't find one on YouTube). It's not on Wikipedia, and googling it merely turns up a few people trying to find a copy of the mp3. (This being the case, I can't guarantee what year it was released - I could dig out my 7" vinyl copy, but that would require more energy than I currently have - but I think it was 1989.) I don't think it was ever even played on the radio... except on Manchester local radio!

The Bosnians - Manchester Rap

It's entirely possible that this song will do nothing for you if you're not from Manchester. It has the same chord - and in fact more or less the same backing entirely - all the way through. The vocal line has no tune - it's all spoken. That being the case, there is obviously no vocal harmony. There are no interesting instruments. Nothing musical of note happens at all.

And yet.... this song makes me giggle every time I think of it. "MAXEEEEENE!"

Anyway, tomorrow, back to normal - I could continue this series forever, but I suspect no-one wants me to (my readership has gone down each day for the last twelve!)

No comments: