Monday, February 20, 2006

Semi-chorus angst

Well, like many, many other members of the choir (including 15 altos - I counted) I signed up for a semi-chorus audition, and I'm getting more and more anxious about it. Now I can guess that several of you are probably thinking that's silly, but, you see, Jamie's never yet picked me for a semi-chorus (I did sing in the semi-chorus in the first gig he prepared, which was Gerontius in St Paul's, but that was because I'd been in it the previous time and, not knowing the choir at that point, he just had the same people). And his vocal assessment comments about me have always been "great sight reading, but try to make a nicer sound". (Which is fair enough.) Now, I think I've improved a bit, but this Wednesday's audition will be the test - and if I fail it, it won't do much for my confidence!

Anyway, in case anyone wants to practise with the harmony but can't play it and doesn't have a recording, I've put one online, together with all the other bits of music we've been given so far. All the tracks are on iTunes (79p a track - bargain!) so you can buy your own copy if you like (I won't be keeping these up forever). PLEASE NOTE that not all of these are in the same key as our music - the first one, in particular, is a tone lower (i.e. the 1st alto part on page 4 starts on an A flat not a B flat). But I hope they'll be useful anyway.

Loquebantur variis linguis (Tallis) (4.9 MB) - pages 4 and 5 of this are the semi-chorus audition piece, and here is just that bit (1.4 MB)

Laudibus in sanctis (Byrd) (6.8 MB)

Salvator mundi (Tallis) (2.6 MB)

O nata lux de lumine (Tallis) (2.1 MB)

Mihi autem nimis (Tallis) (2.5 MB)

The Lamb (Tavener) (3.9 MB)

Lord, thou hast been our refuge (Vaughan Williams) (9.1 MB)

Oh, and I almost forgot - anyone who received last week's choir info email and didn't read it very closely, do so - you may have missed our chairman's new name :p

12 comments:

Yoga Troll said...

Thanks for all the links Jocelyn, I'm nervous about the semi chorus auditions too... It's like the law council dinner in Bridget Jones 2... I have a feeling Jamie's gonna stop me halfway through, and say "Elizabeth Lamb, you are ridiculous, get out now" (I'm sure he won't -not to my face anyway!!) I suppose we've just got to go for it anyway...... :o) good luck if i don't see u before you do it though!!!!!

Jocelyn Lavin said...

Thanks :-)

He's far too good at keeping a straight face when he wants to. So each time I've sung for him I've had no idea what he was thinking till I read the comments afterwards.

I'm encouraged that there is at least one alto (whose name is on the list) that I know for a fact can't sing in tune...

Anonymous said...

I was wondering whether or not Hotrod was a spelling mistake!

Jocelyn Lavin said...

I presumed it was one of those occasions when you do a spell check but you're in a hurry and click "replace" rather than "learn"...

Anonymous said...

It might be what Sara calls him!

Jocelyn Lavin said...

I'd just like to point out that it wasn't me that said that :p

Anonymous said...

Good luck to everyone who is auditioning this evening. Many, many thanks for the flowers and chocolates which arrived this morning (early!)

Jocelyn Lavin said...

Glad the flowers got there, Graham. Don't eat all the chocolates at once and make yourself ill again - we want you back soon!

Anonymous said...

I've sung the semichorus bit in the Vaughan Williams, only our semichorus was just a quartet, and I did it two weeks after I joined that particular choir. It's fair to say I did not make a stunning job of it...

Jocelyn Lavin said...

Liz, I bet it was fine :-)

(For those who are confused, that's Liz-from-London-who-sings-with-another-choir, aka Liz B... not Dr Liz or Liz L, or Lizzy, or even Liz A, or Liz P-who's-currently-on-leave-of-absence, or Liz M-who-left-a-few-years-ago ... Have I forgotten anyone?)

Anonymous said...

Hi jocelyn. i am srishti, a studrent of journalism from city university london. i am doing a radio package on gifted children and the problems they face. i really need to speak with you!! my package will be incomplete without you! i read your Guardian article and that is what inspired me to do this topic. PLEASEEEEEEEE get in touch with me at 07971360707 or email me at srishti_mittal88
@yahoo.com... also, can i please have your email address/phone number so that we can speak??? i would be so highly obliged if you would agree to speak to me. i would nonly need about 5-10 minutes of your time! thank you so much and looking forward to hearing from you soon. best regards, srishti

Anonymous said...

Hi jocelyn. i am srishti, a studrent of journalism from city university london. i am doing a radio package on gifted children and the problems they face. i really need to speak with you!! my package will be incomplete without you! i read your Guardian article and that is what inspired me to do this topic. PLEASEEEEEEEE get in touch with me at 07971360707 or email me at srishti_mittal88
@yahoo.com... also, can i please have your email address/phone number so that we can speak??? i would be so highly obliged if you would agree to speak to me. i would nonly need about 5-10 minutes of your time! thank you so much and looking forward to hearing from you soon. best regards, srishti