Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Choir Wars

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. This can't be good.

While I'm doing links, there's an email doing the rounds that claims that Mama Cass's vocal range increased when she was hit on the head by a pipe. It's not true! And, while we're on the subject, can I please implore you all to bookmark Snopes? Then, next time someone sends you one of those emails that says "warning from Microsoft, forward this to everyone you know!" you can be the one who points out that it's a hoax, rather than one of the many who just look stupid because they believed it. 99% of such emails are hoaxes - trust me on this.

Anyway, Sunday night was our Sibelius gig, and it went really well. Even the bits where the sopranos kept going flat (whoever else kept being accused, it sounded like the sopranos to me - sorry, sops) stayed in tune. Only one review so far, in the Telegraph, and they seemed to like it. Well, they liked the choir... they liked the 4th symphony more than the 5th, which seems amazing to me - I love the 5th a lot, and Sunday's performance satisfied me. (Unlike that one in the Proms this summer, which I was very disappointed with even though the reviews all disagreed with me.) It's true that the 4th was played very well on Sunday (hey, it's the Hallé Orchestra, they don't often play badly!) but it's just not a listener-friendly piece....

A colleague who works in my office came to the concert and she loved it - and she liked the a cappella songs the best. And a guy from my sailing club (who goes to all the Hallé concerts) rang me up tonight to tell me how much he enjoyed the choral parts of the concert. And, actually, it seemed to me that the a cappella songs got the best reaction from the audience - there were whoops! If I'd seen any of the Youth Choir there I'd have assumed it was them, but I didn't see any of them.

Open rehearsal for the Verdi tomorrow, which will be fun. I'm really sad we're not doing the Classical Spectacular again this year, though. It's depressing to see posters ALL OVER TOWN for something that we used to be in every year. Which of our other events are advertised that heavily? None of them. There are still people I know who go to the Classical Spectacular and not to any other concert. My own MOTHER isn't coming to Messiah because it's the same weekend as the Classical Spectacular, which she wouldn't dream of missing. Oh well.

But our Proms Gerontius is on Radio 3 again on Thursday!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aaaaaaaaargh, so miffed I wasn't at the Sibelius! I was recovering at home after a City of Manchester rehearsal :(
Choir Wars reminds me of why I no longer have a TV. hate it hate it hate it.

KeyReed said...

Florence Foster Jenkins did claim she could sing higher after having been hit by a taxi. Is that why people believe the Mama cass story?

Anonymous said...

I am sure I could reach higher notes after I gave birth - blame it on the hormones!!!!!

Jocelyn Lavin said...

Despina: It is possible to have a TV and not watch stupid programmes, you know :p

Florence Foster Jenkins claimed all sorts of things, including that she could sing in tune! I am fascinated by her though, particularly as she is responsible for one of my favourite quotes: "Some may say that I couldn't sing, but no-one can say that I didn't sing."