Saturday, November 10, 2007

My land is strawberry



This picture is from the link I posted about the Finnish proverb, but I thought I'd make it a bit more prominent because not many people clicked on the link and I think it's really pretty!

This week it's Sibelius all the way. The men have their Origin of Fire concert tonight, and tomorrow it's the whole choir for Oma Maa and the 4 a cappella songs. (All the Sibelius concerts are billed under the title "Origin of Fire", which is a bit confusing, but it's tonight's that features that actual work.) We had the orchestral rehearsal last night, and it doesn't sound too bad at all. The men sounded spectacular in the Origin of Fire - although they were very behind at times, but they usually get better at that by the actual performance. At least they did eventually manage to all stand up together! And the Finnish soloist reported that he could understand every word they sang :-)

Oma Maa is much yummier with the orchestra, but I like the a cappella songs the best (which we rehearsed in the Bridgewater Hall foyer last night! That was a first!) I think my favourite is Min Rastas - especially the men's bit on the first page - but they're all lovely. Carolina the Finnish language coach (at least I think that's her name) told us that Sydameni Laulu is much loved in Finland - it's about the death of a child, but was sung at Sibelius's funeral as his coffin was lowered into the ground.

We spent a lot of time on the a cappella songs on Wednesday too, but we also did a bit of Messiah - this was planned, but I didn't think it would actually happen! There was the first batch of new markings (these particular ones clarified which notes in Behold the Lamb of God are quavers and which are semiquavers - it changes every year!) and we also sang through a couple of choruses that aren't as familiar as the others (because they're often cut) but are in this year's performance: But Thanks be to God and Let All The Angels of God Worship Him.

And next week it's VERDI! I can't wait. But before that, here are a few links.

There are posters all over the trams reminding people that there are no trams going through St Peter's Square for a few hours tomorrow. People who are going into town early before the rehearsal may find this useful to know. (Oddly enough there is no mention of it on the actual Metrolink website, but nothing they do surprises me. I wrote to them a few weeks ago with some questions and comments, and have had no response.)

A Guardian blog story about Sibelius performances in general.

Another Guardian story, this time about a rediscovered Requiem by John Foulds. EDIT: And I just saw a BBC news story about an even more unlikely Requiem!

News of a new music research centre at the University of Manchester.

News of restricted bits of St Paul's being opened up. Sadly I doubt it'll be in the next 3 weeks!

Have you seen the new Guinness advert with the dominos?

You know I love great footballing names? Well, Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink is still my favourite, but recently I discovered one almost as good - Danny Invincible! What a great name! He's Australian and he plays for Kilmarnock. (His actual name is Daniele Invincibile, but all the commentators say "Danny Invincible".) I will watch his career with interest!

Finally, keep an eye on the sky - there are great astronomical things going on! For details, have a look at my Astronomical Notes page (this is part of a website I put together for a school I used to work at, and because several of them still look at it, I update it when I remember). Currently there are 4 planets easily visible, plus a comet! (Here's a diagram of exactly where the comet is, but it won't mean much to you unless you already know how to find Cassiopeia etc.)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

By the way, our Gerontius Proms performance is on Radio 3 again on Thursday evening at 7 o'clock.