Monday, November 26, 2007

Is it Christmas?

My new favourite website will tell you!

It certainly feels like Christmas. Last night I sang in the first of 11 concerts in a month. That only happens at Christmas! I was helping out Sotto Voce at an interesting concert in Sale. I say "interesting" because the programme consisted entirely of music by two composers, both of whom were present and took part in the concert - one conducted the choir and one played the organ. I don't think I've ever been in any other concert where this was the case! The music was much more tuneful than you might expect from modern composers, but it was quite difficult. However, I thought the concert went pretty well. (I always enjoy singing with Sotto Voce but it's very tiring because they rehearse at the opposite side of Manchester to me, so I don't get home till midnight. For that reason only, I'm relieved that the project is now over. Now I can concentrate on the remaining 10 concerts I have before Christmas!)

(In case you're wondering... Verdi Req 29th Nov and 1st Dec; Pleiades at a community Christmas fair on 2nd Dec; Pleiades at FC United on 8th Dec; Messiah on 9th Dec; Pleiades at Henry Watson Music Library on 15th Dec; carol concerts on 21st, 22nd and 23rd Dec (x2).)

The Verdi is going to be fun. Wednesday's rehearsal did indeed start with the Sanctus as I predicted, and everything feels pretty secure now. Mind you, the altos were somewhat unimpressed to be told, at one point, that it wouldn't make any difference whatsoever whether we sang or not. I feel a challenge, ladies! (For anyone who missed the moment in question, it referred to the bit in the Tuba Mirum where we've supported the tenors in the past.) Pity the rehearsal was followed by England's exit from Euro 2008 - we had a very tense drive home listening to the end of the match on the radio, and I imagine we weren't the only ones.

Which reminds me - I presume everyone has received the message that Tuesday's rehearsal has been moved to the BBC? Please also note that Man Utd are at home that night - Sporting Lisbon are in town, so expect to be delayed by Portuguese traffic :p (The third consecutive home game I'm missing due to choir. I'm not impressed!)

Oh, and another football-related thing (thanks to Despina for this): apparently the guy who sang the anthems at Wembley on Wednesday wasn't perfect in his Croatian....

NIce review of the whole Sibelius cycle in the MEN. They particularly praise the Youth Choir, but they liked the men too. I guess the ladies' efforts at Finnish made no impact! We'll have to quadruple our efforts for the Verdi... see if we can get a reviewer to acknowledge our existence!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is always a pleasure to welcome Jocelyn (honorary bass) to Sotto Voce, especially as she has to travel quite a distance. She forgot to mention (well, she would, wouldn't she!) how stunning she looked in her black sparkly dress.

Jocelyn Lavin said...

Thank you, Graham (although it wasn't actually a dress!)

John Brough said...

I LOVE the "Is it Christmas?" webpage!