Sunday, December 28, 2008

The fourth day of Christmas: Come back my love

This is a song that I know so well - and have performed so many times (and recorded!) - that I'm always quite surprised when I introduce someone to it and find that they've never heard of it before.

Darts - Come Back My Love

This got to number 2 in the UK charts in 1978 (are you noticing a pattern here?!) Darts had quite a few big hits that year (I also love Boy from New York City and It's Raining) but their career didn't last much longer than that. They had a big impact on me at the time, though - I'd always liked what I'd heard of doo-wop music, but didn't often get the chance to hear any (its heyday was before I was born - it was my mum that introduced me to it), until suddenly Darts were performing it on Top of the Pops!

Come Back My Love isn't a complicated song. The main chorus bit comes four times, with a middle 8 that comes twice, and an instrumental break, plus a proper intro and coda. But there is a great saxophone solo, and a great piano bit, and the backing vocals are possibly the most fun backing vocals to sing of any song EVER. They even actually include the words "doo wop"! Not to mention "doobidi" and "wah wah". (I'd show you the music, but it's so many years since I wrote it out that I only have a handwritten version... I must do it properly sometime though, because it looks much harder than it is, so it's hard to introduce a new singer to it!)

No comments: