Saturday, December 27, 2008

The third day of Christmas: Lilac Wine

This one was a UK chart hit - it got to number 16 in 1978 - but I've rarely heard it since, so there's a good chance you won't know it.

Elkie Brooks - Lilac Wine

I didn't actually realise until I looked it up just now, but this version isn't the original - it's actually a really old song. Elkie Brooks was very popular where I grew up, because I grew up in Salford and she's FROM Salford. I suspect she wasn't as well-known elsewhere, but I could be wrong! Anyway, I know quite a lot of people who regard Jeff Buckley's "Grace" as the greatest album of all time, and he covered Lilac Wine on there, but I find his version disappointing compared to this one. (I think that's why, although I find Jeff Buckley's album pleasant enough, I've never been fanatical about it, even though I'm considered ignorant by some for having this opinion.)

I just love the orchestration on Elkie's version. It starts with a bare fifth, and you think there are only a few instruments backing her, but then more join in, until you realise there's a full orchestra there. There are timp rolls and everything! And I love the harmony too. It starts in A minor, but the chorus is in A major - at least until it surprises you by following a D major chord with a very unexpected F major. It gets back to A major in the end - and it's a proper ending. None of this fadeout rubbish! They don't make them like this any more :-)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes you would be wrong in thinking that Elkie Brooks is known only in Salford. Elkie is in the Guinness Book of Records ,as the best selling female artist, of albums in the U.K.Somehow i dont think all those records sales where all made in Salford.
She is well known also in mainland Europe. I do agree with you about the Buckley version of this song.

Anonymous said...

Elkie Brooks is well known in the U.K. Ireland, Europe, and other parts of the world. Her version of Lilac Wine, is real fine.....

Anonymous said...

Ah, Elkie Brooks- excellent performer - and I love Lilac wine. It was also one of my dad's favourites - but had nothing to do with the fact that he was a headmaster in deepest Salford!
GG