Friday, December 05, 2008

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow

Much to my surprise, there's a second review of Monday's concert - this one from Alfred Hickling in the Guardian - and he seemed to like it, so much so that it's not at all clear from what he writes why he's only given us three stars! Also, he viewed some of it rather differently than most of us probably did - I'm not sure I would have described any of it as "swinging"...

We had the piano rehearsal for Messiah on Wednesday, and it was good fun. In the past I've often been bored rehearsing this work (although I usually enjoy the actual performance) but I amused myself on Wednesday by seeing how much of it I could do from memory. Answer: most of it, but some bits were a lot more secure than others! I'm fine from Hallelujah to the end, because that's the section we've actually performed from memory in the past, so I've never looked at the score since in that bit... but earlier movements had quite a few errors. In general I know all the phrases, but not exactly when they start. Also, I kept forgetting we were doing trills :p

Anyway, Laurence Cummings seemed to like us, and he was VERY energetic! Should be a fun gig on Sunday. We did start the rehearsal rather late, and there were still lots of people missing - as I predicted a week or two ago, the two football matches meant there was traffic chaos (and when I told you about the football I didn't know there'd be snow AND a crash that closed the M62 as well!) Apparently the Paris St Germain team were stuck in it as well, and only got to Eastlands less than an hour before kickoff.

(I should warn you that there's a match at Old Trafford next Wednesday (10th) as well - yet ANOTHER one I can't go to. I wouldn't mind so much if there was any chance of selling my seat, but there usually isn't. Oh well.)

A few links:

A bit more about the icicle orchestra.

Another nice post about memories of Richard Hickox.

An interesting-sounding new book - have any of you read it?

David Griggs-Janower considers the question of why choirs are so much busier in December.

The Spectator looks back at Maestro.

Apparently in London tonight the lions in Trafalgar Square will be talking!

And finally, there are some strange people who try to play Quidditch in real life.

1 comment:

Can Bass 1 said...

After more years than I care to mention, I can now do all the bass arias in Messiah from memory. Still need to hold mi book, though!