Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Across the Universe Day

I'm sure you know that today is Pancake Day, but how many of you realised that yesterday was Across the Universe Day? And isn't that a lovely idea?

Just a short post from me tonight, because there are pancakes to be eaten and World of Warcraft to be played. But I wanted to alert you to a few things.

Firstly, if you were wondering how the wedding went, look at the sword party!




Our musical contributions were fine too. All in all a lovely day!

Secondly, any altos who didn't receive a text tonight from the lovely Dr Liz will be unaware that tomorrow night's alto vocal coaching has been postponed to next week (13th Feb) due to the rehearsal being an open one. (I don't know when the bass vocal coaching will now be taking place.) My online schedule is up to date, and I will endeavour to keep it that way on the offchance that anyone ever looks at it these days.

Thirdly, we were on Radio 3 last night, and we sounded rather good, even if I do say so myself! You can hear it on the BBC iPlayer until Sunday. (Our bit starts 50 minutes in... and if you're as slow as me, you may wish to know that the button that looks like a "play" button is actually "fast forward". If you click and hold it, the time advances rapidly - but I can't see an easy way of going backwards if you go too far, so if you miss the 50th minute, click the stop button and try from the start again.)

And finally, something I wouldn't have realised if I hadn't heard Petroc mention it during the broadcast: there was an interesting Michael Kennedy article in the Spectator a couple of weeks ago. (Oh, and we also got a mention on On An Overgrown Path, that most interesting of music blogs.)

3 comments:

KeyReed said...

I heard part of the concert whilst driving home and it did sound great!

Apparently, fewer people are eating pancakes (on Shrove Tuesday) these days because they don't know that Shrove Tuesday is all about. Our Head announced this to the school today, just before final grace after lunch, saying it was a sad comment on society these days [which it is]. I expect he meant the lack of knowledge about the day before Lent and Lent itself, not the avoidance of pancakes. I must Google this to see if it is true!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting the news to spread the word. Hopefully an email will go out tomorrow too. Better late than never!

DrLiz (at work on a nightshift)

Jocelyn Lavin said...

Glad you enjoyed it, Tenon Saw!

Dr Liz, I never received an email (don't know whether anyone else did) but it would have been no use to me if I hadn't heard the news before today in any case, because I don't usually read personal emails during the day. But the text warning was much appreciated.