Tuesday, September 20, 2005

O kak zvonka (rhymes with "Wonka")

Sorry for delay. I've been really busy.

I have no idea what "o kak zvonka" means, but it is by far my favourite line of The Bells at the moment.

We did most of the piece (well, except the 2nd movement, but that's really easy) with Fanny last week. (Jamie is off in Argentina with his chamber choir.) Flicking through, I don't seem to have written much new stuff down, apart from on page 35: "Don't worry about that SHSH, that's just to differentiate it from SH..."

The alarm bell bit is now somewhat less alarming, and some of the words in the piece as a whole are starting to seem familiar. No doubt this will change :p

I've bought a recording of it now, and can't decide whether I like it or not. But in case anyone wants to have a listen, I've put the mp3s online. (For study purposes only, of course, and I'll remove them after the concert.) The files are quite large - be warned.

1st movement (7.8 MB)

2nd movement (15.1 MB)

3rd movement (10.1 MB)

4th movement (14.5 MB)

Finally, a heads-up from Sheena. "The CD that some of the choir recorded with Jon Christos is due to be released on 3rd October; it's called Northern Light. Also, there'll be a documentary about Jon Christos on ITV, currently scheduled for 6th October."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Note that 'Hallé Choir' on the Jon Christos advance publicity has been hastily replaced with 'City of Manchester Chorus'. Who they?