Friday, May 19, 2006

Es sungen drei Engel... und neun Hörner

horns

OK, I admit that those aren't the Hallé horns. But how often do you see a picture of 9 horn players together... with Swiss mountains in the background? I was reminded of this picture tonight, when it was the first of the Mahler 3 gigs. The horns are definitely my favourite part of the symphony, so it was quite right that they got to take a bow as a section.

The gig went rather well - there was a standing ovation at the end (although, to be fair, it did coincide with people standing up to leave... but I think most of it was genuine) and Mark got more curtain calls than I can remember for years. I'll be interested to see the reviews! I think everyone is looking forward to doing it again in Sheffield on Saturday, but it's never the same as in Manchester!

Not much else to say at the moment - off to bed soon - other than that it seems that loads of people are doing the People's Chorus thing. My music arrived today - I'm a tenor in choir 3. Sounds as if quite a few Hallé people are in choir 3 - I hope they've got some good people in the other choirs to balance us!

Oh, and Graham E kindly sent an mp3 of Mark getting his RPS award.

More tomorrow. Maybe. Including - maybe - the much-delayed Take That report, which Abi reminded me I promised ages ago. In the meantime, to balance the Verbier horn section, here are the Verbier timp players :-)

timps

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm in choir 2

Anonymous said...

I'm in Choir 5

Anonymous said...

I'm in choir 8- so is Margaret

Anonymous said...

I'm in choir 3, but an alto.

Anonymous said...

The M.E.N. review noticed that we were there - that's it!

Anonymous said...

I'm in Choir 5

Jocelyn Lavin said...

I'm reassured that the People's Chorus might be a bit better balanced now :-)