Saturday, June 10, 2006

Are you the famous Hallé blogger?

description

This is what a guy said to me today as I went past him to get to my seat at the Bridgewater Hall for the BBC4 People's Chorus thing. Needless to say I was delighted :-) Mind you, I was wearing my "I'm blogging this"> T-shirt, along with (like everyone else) a sticker with my name on, so I guess it was a bit of a clue!

The whole event was pretty fabulous. (There was a Guardian blogger there too, btw - see here and here.) I nearly didn't go - I was so tired when I woke up, plus I still have a sore throat and a cough, plus... footy! But I'm glad I did, because it's not an experience I'm likely to repeat any time soon. (I was surprised to hear that one Hallé singer left at lunchtime because she wasn't enjoying it, because everyone else I spoke to - and I counted 14 Hallé people, but there may have been more - was loving it as much as I was.)

The standard was much higher than I was expecting. So either the BBC were really good at selecting people, or only really good people applied. And it sounded as if most people had practised, because there were hardly any problems with notes, even where Tallis had done one of his clashes. (I have to admit I hadn't even looked at my music - I was relying on my l33t sight-reading skills (I had to resist the urge to type "skillz" then, I must admit...) and luckily they didn't let me down.) I started off with choirs 3 and 4 (I was singing tenor in choir 3, along with Paul and Richard; Dr Liz was singing alto in the same group) and we were joined by choirs 1 and 2 after the morning coffee break and choirs 5, 6, 7 and 8 after lunch. (Lunch involved the choir 3 Hallé group going to the Rain Bar to watch the first half of the England game while eating. We had to go back to the hall at half time, but I got text updates (silently!) after that - very helpful of England to not do anything interesting in the second half!)

The most fascinating thing in the hall was actually the camera in the picture above. We think it's called a boom camera, although when I just looked that up, it seems that the proper term might be jib camera. Whatever it's called, it was fascinating. There was just one guy controlling it, and he could make it go anywhere and point in any direction, seemingly effortlessly. And all the movements were so smooth! It was almost like an alien lifeform - it reminded me of the Martian in The War of the Worlds. I'm sure I wasn't the only person who spent most of my unoccupied minutes during the rehearsal just staring at it open-mouthed. So if I'm gaping when I'm on TV, that'll be why!

The music was the highlight, though. Spem in Alium sounded just wonderful. The first time we sang it with all 8 choirs together, spines were well and truly tingled. It was the spatial aspect that made it so magical - they'd arranged the choirs so that 1 to 4 were in the stalls, and 5 to 8 in the circle, with 5 above 4 and 8 above 1. That meant that when the choirs came in in order, which happened several times, the sound just gradually swirled round the whole hall. And sitting in the middle of it all, it was... what's the 8-part version of "quadrophonic sound"? Each of the choirs - including the one I was part of - reached my ears from a different direction, and I'm not sure I can adequately convey in words what an amazing effect it was. Wow.

Everything went so well that we actually finished early. We might have finished even earlier if one of the audience hadn't forgotten to turn their phone off - it rang in the worst possible place, i.e. one of several general pauses in the piece. So we had to perform it again. It was much better the second time, though, so it was just as well. (That reminds me of a Great Choral Moment that I meant to post ages ago, actually. It was when we were rehearsing Mahler 2 a couple of years ago. You know how when the choir comes in, it's marked ppp? Well, we'd spent a while trying to get it quieter and quieter, and Jamie finally pronounced himself satisfied, but asked us to do it again one more time to see if it could be even quieter. And that's when Alison's phone rang - and not just any ringtone, but the opening of Night on the Bare Mountain (you know the really fast, high triplet quaver bit), which was one of my creations. Hee! I was extremely amused.) (I used to make lots of ringtones for people, but people have got better at finding their own, so I don't often do it these days.)

Great day, although unfortunately I felt quite ill by the time I got home - Manchester was just so hot, and I'd been too hot almost all day (thank goodness for the air conditioning in the Bridgewater Hall, but I wasn't in there all day, and all the time I wasn't, I just felt faint and dizzy from the heat). Bear in mind that I'm usually too hot at WHGS, even on days when most of the rest of the choir are keeping their coats on and asking for the heating to be turned up. So you can imagine how hot I felt on an actual hot day! I was going to go to bed as soon as I got home, but Doctor Who was just starting, so I thought I may as well watch that while I cooled down, and by the time it had finished - and I'd been in my nice cool house for 45 minutes - I felt fine :-)

What did everyone else think of the day?

EDIT: To change the subject completely, just noticed someone searching for "how to pronounce pie jesu" and not having much luck. It's pee-ay yay-zoo.

EDIT 2: The Guardian blogger posted again and reminded me that I forgot to mention the "We've come from Barnsley" moment :-)

EDIT 3: It seems this post is now the number one Google result for "how to pronounce Jesu"! This being the case, I should clarify that the pronunciation is yay-zoo if it's Latin (e.g. 'Pie Jesu') but Jeez-you (or sometimes Jee-zoo) if it's English (e.g. 'Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring'). Hope that helps :-)

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was a fab day - we met all sorts of singers, there was a woman who had flown in from Holland who had sung the piece with the Tallis Scholars. There was a group from London Oriana, we also met a lady who sang with Manchester Community choir, she couldn't read music - they learn everything by ear - but she'd taped it and was learning it on her walkman. I was also watching the jib camera - I'm the one who flinched every time it moved our way, I was convinced he was going to hit the wall!

Anonymous said...

P.S. Hope you soon feel better.

Anonymous said...

I thought it was a totally fantastic day! Will be very interested to see the final product.

And now I've got a desire to sing it with only one person on each part. So I need to find 39 volenteers to sing it with me!

Jocelyn Lavin said...

Thanks Barbara, I felt better as soon as I cooled down, and my sore throat is well on the mend too (just as well because I rescheduled last week's singing lesson to tonight!)

I can't imagine doing anything like the Tallis without being able to read music. You'd think that by the end of the day some of the dots would start to make some sense on their own, though - I wonder if they did?

And Liz, I'm got a desire to sing it on a multitrack recorder with *me* on every part! I could almost do it... I wonder how low the bass goes?

Anonymous said...

How low? F

Jocelyn Lavin said...

That was a bit of a rhetorical question really :-)

I would love to be able to sing all the parts at once though! Wish there was a way.

Anonymous said...

for your reference, i believe 8 part harmony is called octophonic, and parts go up to 10 (i.e. decophonic) before you would just start using "11 part, 12 part etc"

Jocelyn Lavin said...

That would make sense :-)

Robbiegirl said...

Hiya! I was there....

Alto, Choir 1.

It was the most amazing day, I loved every second of it, despite being at least semi-confused throughout the whole thing, as my sight-reading, though much improved in the last year, is not exactly my strong point! Luckily I was sitting next to some really good confident people who didn't mind that I've only really been singing for a year. And I was very very impressed by the standard of singing on the day, right from the beginning.

Can we do it again?

Jocelyn Lavin said...

I do hope so - should be on the telly soon, anyway!

Anonymous said...

I was so pleased to discover this site with comments on the day that I took part in 'Spem in Alium'. I had a super day (Soprano on choir 4), but was busy for the most part learning and so had little time to share views of the day with anybody other than those sitting either side of me. I found the day remarkably un-pressured considering what had to be achieved. I was one of a small number of singers from the Metropolitan Cathedral Cantata Choir who took part. And, like everybody else, am hugely looking forward to the broadcast.

Jocelyn Lavin said...

Thanks for the comments - I'm just surprised there wasn't more about it online! Roll on 9th December :-)