Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Train whistle blowin'

Well, I went to a choir committee meeting last night, and - as is traditional - it finished 5 minutes later than planned, which resulted in me missing my train by 10 seconds (it left just as I reached the stairs down to the platform) and having to wait an hour for the next one. Grr. But at least I did finish my book.

Quite a productive committee meeting, though, and I got all agitated when bringing up something that's been infuriating me for YEARS :p Let's see if anything comes of it!

While wandering aimlessly round the station in search of a drink, after missing the train, I was amazed to discover that the (Victoria) station bar was open. I can't actually remember the last time I saw it open, I presumed it had closed permanently! They had the football on, too, but it was so very hot in there that I chose to sit on the station platform rather than in the bar. (Plus, it was only Switzerland v Ukraine!) I did have a nasty thought, though, which was that if England get through the quarter-final against Portugal on Saturday, the resulting semi-final (against Brazil or Ghana or Spain or France) will be on a Wednesday night (5th July).... eek!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please ask for a lift, Jocelyn!
Happy memories of Victoria Station on a foggy November night with steam trains lined up at the platforms (one of which, Platform 13, which linked to the then Exchange Station was the longest platform in the world. Listened to the George Lloyd yet?

Jocelyn Lavin said...

I don't need a lift, thanks - if I wanted to travel by car I would bring my own. I prefer to travel by train wherever possible because then I can get things done during the journey. And no, no George Lloyd yet... must do that at some point...

Anonymous said...

I meant to the station in time for your train!

Jocelyn Lavin said...

Ah, OK - well, it's a thought, but by the time someone had got out of the car park and across town, there's a good chance I'd still miss it. It's not a huge problem.