Thursday, June 22, 2006

... as you work yourselves into a pirate frenzy...

Guess what! More mp3s :-)

Daphnis and Chloé choir bits:

Page 1-11 (8.6 MB)
Page 11-12 (1.9 MB)
Page 13-18 (3.5 MB)
Page 19-20 (1.2 MB)
Page 21 (1.7 MB)
Page 22-23 (4.0 MB)
Page 24-30 (2.0 MB)

This seemed more use than posting the whole thing.

Note that some of the openings (in particular on the first track) are extremely quiet, so don't decide too soon that it's not working :p Also, I've included a bit more than the printed cue in most cases, but each excerpt starts not long before the choir sing.

Brief summary of the story on Wikipedia and a much longer one here. Turns out it's all about incest! They didn't mention that when they told us about the pirates :p

We didn't have Jamie tonight due to his Oxford Blues thing, so Rory Macdonald, the Hallé's assistant conductor, came to introduce us to the Ravel. He was pretty good. I couldn't hear him at first, although to be fair this was mainly because someone near me talked THE WHOLE TIME he was speaking. So rude! But later on, she shut up and he spoke louder, so all was well :-)

We got through the whole thing, and I was pleased to discover that I remembered most of it from the last time we did it. I've been trying to work out when that was, and I've just remembered that it was so long ago that it was before my friend Andrew Nicholson became the Hallé principal flautist, because this piece features a lot of flute solos, and I'm pretty sure it was Andrew's trial piece - he got the permanent job as a result of his performance in this. (I could be wrong about this, of course. But I do remember him playing it, and very lovely it was too.)

I do hate using French vocal scores, though. Does anyone know why it is that they never have any cues - or at least very inadequate ones? Rory said "the anoraks amongst you can go out and invest in a full score"... I don't own an anorak, but you all know that otherwise that's me :p Rest assured that when I do get a full score, I will post helpful cues for you all to write in.

(Oh, while Rory was trying to explain to the tenors how to get one of their more difficult notes with no cue, he suggested using a tuning fork, and then produced a pitch pipe he's been using at Covent Garden when conducting the offstage shepherd boy in Tosca this week. He told us about the diva-like small boys he's working with. And then realised that his pitch pipe was in C#, which defeated the object of him getting it out!)

Nothing else to say, actually. But to finish, even more mp3s:

Jamie talking about his Oxford Blues Service (9.7 MB) on In Tune yesterday (thanks Graham)

The Time of our Lives - the official FIFA World Cup 2006 anthem, by Il Divo with Toni Braxton (3.9 MB). I include this because despite avidly following everything World Cup-related, I didn't know this existed till yesterday, when I found out about it while searching for something else. I hasten to add that I'm not a fan of Il Divo...

And finally, for the altos (although I'm sure the rest of the choir will get to hear about this eventually), some Goodies!

Funky Gibbon (3.1 MB)
Wild Thing (4.5 MB) (note: I heard this, when I was young, before I heard the original version. So to me this is the original. It's much more fun than the Troggs!)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I opened my wonderful French full score on Wednesday and was horrified to be reminded how much I'd paid for it many years ago - it was an AWFUL lot of money! Such a pleasure to sing from, though.

Yoga Troll said...

i thought the oxford blues service was pretty cool!!!! don't know how many other people listened to it. I'm now trying to persuade my ickle singing group to get the parts and do it..... Jazz....

Jocelyn Lavin said...

Glad I'm not the only anorak :p I'm now planning to hit the library rather than buy it, though, in light of Sheena's comment! And Liz has reminded me I haven't actually listened to the blues thing yet - must do that in a minute when the footy finishes...

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the cues. I have just put them onto disc to listen to in the car or wherever which saves me time finding a good CD. Last time I got a cheap one of Verdi for the Sanctus only to discover that it had been recorded in 1937! My Mum heard Jamies service and was not sure. I think that is a generation thing!

Jocelyn Lavin said...

I think I might have that same recording of the Verdi, having made the same mistake many years ago! (I have a proper one now...)

The trouble is that even the best CDs tend not to have the tracks split in ways that have just the choir bits on separate tracks. Which is fine if you have time to keep listening (and concentrating) to the whole piece, but not if you're trying to learn stuff in a hurry. Hence my editing!

Still not listened to Jamie's thing. Must do that after, erm, the footy :p

Anonymous said...

We last did Daphnis and Chloe, or at least Suite No 2, on 4 March 2001, with van Steen. Andrew Nicholson was principal flute, at least according to the programme. PaulA

Jocelyn Lavin said...

Aha! Thanks, Paul. That sounds about right. Glad I remembered Andrew's contribution correctly, at least.

I do now have a full (well, miniature) score from the library. Still not listened to Jamie's thingy though!

James Henry said...

Woo hoo the Goodies!

Jocelyn Lavin said...

"Come on, hold me TIGHT! ... Not... QUITE... that... tight..."